NO BAKE CHEESECAKE WITH HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY TOPPING
Light and creamy no-bake cheesecake topped with a luscious strawberry sauce. No gelatine required.
- 8 oz (250 g) graham crackers (about 15)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 stick (4 oz or 110 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (8 oz each or 500 g) bars cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (65 g) sifted confectioners' sugar (first sifted and then measured)
- 1 cup (250 g) Greek yogurt (full-fat)
- 2 Sachets vanilla sugar, or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (optional)
- 3/4 cup (200 ml or 200 g) cold heavy cream, whipped
- 13-14 oz (375 g) fresh or frozen strawberries (if using frozen, don't unthaw)
- 1/2 cup (110 g) granulated sugar
- 1-2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
Adapted from fortheloveofitaliancooking.com
For the crust, pulse the crackers in a food processor until finely ground (there should be about 2 cups). Then add 1 tablespoon sugar and melted butter, and pulse until combined. For those who don't have a food processor, place the crackers into a large freezer bag and gently crush them with a rolling pin. Press the crumbs at the bottom of a 10-inch (26 cm) springform pan, using the back of a spoon or the bottom of a flat-bottomed measuring cup, and about 1-1.5 inches (2.5-4 cm) up the sides of the pan. Set aside.
For the filling, beat cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on high for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and cornstarch (if using), and beat until smooth. Fold in whipped heavy cream using a rubber spatula. Pour cream cheese mixture into crust and smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours until firm (or overnight).
For the topping, place strawberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch and water in a medium saucepan, and stir until the cornstarch has dissolved. Heat topping over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes until heated through (this prevents the sauce from clumping and burning). Then reduce heat to lowest setting and let cook for 10-15 minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in a container with lid.
Serving: Spread strawberry topping on top of cheesecake. Carefully lift off the sides of the pan, cut into slices and enjoy!