Moroccan Inspired Kale and Quinoa Salad
This ultra-flavorful salad will knock your socks off. Sweet, spicy, tangy, hearty and super nutritious, you might not have leftovers, even considering this makes two large bowls. I know it seems like a lot of work for a salad, but it makes a ton and it's totally worth it.
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1 bunch of red kale (or your favorite kind)
- 1/2 cup quinoa - soaked for at least 1 hour
- 2 medium golden beets
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2-1 leek, green tops removed
- 1 can white beans/chickpeas/cannellini
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup black olives
- Harissa infused olive oil (available at www.islandoliveoil.com/collections/olive-oils, or you can try infusing your own. it adds another layer of spice to the vegetables and chicken)
- ras al hanout (recipe below) (this is great to have on hand. amazing on chicken, eggs, fish, meatballs, veggies, etc)
- 1-2 tbs mint
- 1-2 tbs chives
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of 1/2-1 lemon or lime
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Soak quinoa in water for at least 1 hr.
Preheat oven to 425
Ras al Hanout (from theclothesmakethegirl.com)
2 (level) teaspoons salt
2 (heaping) teaspoons cumin
2 (level) teaspoons ginger
2 (conservative) teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 (slightly rounded) teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon paprika (my addition)
Chicken and Vegetables
1. Place chicken breasts in a glass dish, pierce breasts all over with a fork. Brush a small amount of Harissa olive oil over top of each breast. Sprinkle with ras al hanout.
2. Cover dish with tinfoil (hello juicy chicken) and place in a 425 degree oven.
3. Chop beets, cauliflower and leek into medium dice (1/2 inch approx.) Toss with a little Harissa oil and a little plain olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin and a little garlic powder.
4. Cover veggies with tinfoil and place in the oven.
While Veggies and Chicken are cooking
1. Cook rinsed quinoa according to package directions. Usually it's 1 cup of water per 1/2 cup quinoa at a boil for 15 min.
2. Wash and chop kale into small pieces. Divide evenly into two medium bowls, or one super giant bowl.
3. Add chopped olives, almonds, orange zest, mint, chives, and garlic to the kale.
4. Heat beans of choice and rinse. Add beans and raisins to the quinoa so the raisins get a little soft. Turn off the heat when quinoa is done cooking.
5. Squeeze lemon over salad. Add a little more olive oil (Harissa or regular)
When Chicken and Veggies are done cooking
1. Remove all items from the oven. Add veggies, quinoa/beans/raisins to the salad while the chicken cools.
2. Chop chicken into small pieces and add as much as you like to the salad.
3. Toss and serve!