Pommes Aligot (French Cheese Potatoes)
Cheesey potatoes are a perfect side dish for just about any meal.
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- Kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, 3/4 stick
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 1/2 pounds Tomme d'Auvergne cheese, rind removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3/4 pound Gruyère and 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella can be substituted for Tomme d'Auvergne)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from tastingtable.com
Put the potatoes in a medium pot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Add enough salt so that the water tastes salty, like the ocean, and bring a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. Drain.
Immediately pass the potatoes through a food mill or ricer and return them to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and stir in the garlic, butter, cream and about half of the cheese. Once the cheese has melted, stir in the remaining cheese. Continue stirring until the potatoes can be stretched with a spoon like melted mozzarella. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Recipe from Tasting Table Test Kitchen