Caramelized Onion Bread Pudding
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and yellow parts only (leeks, ramps and/or spring onions)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 (1-pound) loaf ciabbata bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups) 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped4 eggs
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Adapted from relish.com
Heat butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add leeks, mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, brown sugar and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes or until dry and lightly browned.
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a shallow 4-quart baking dish.
Combine leek mixture, bread cubes and remaining ingredients. Mix well and let stand 20 minutes. Press mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. (You may cover and refrigerate the bread pudding up to 4 hours before baking.)
Bake about 1 hour, or until pudding is set and golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Blooming Onion Bread 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Sautéed Cod with Pea Cream 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Red Curry Shrimp Dumplings 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Orange Infused Overnight Steel Cut... 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Pineapple Zucchini Cake 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Spinach & Sausage Cannelloni... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Bacon, Spinach, Swiss, &... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)