Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added black beans,drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes, peeled (about 3 regular sized potatoes)
- 3/4 cup sweet corn, frozen or fresh (thawed if frozen, fresh grilled corn would be excellent in this dish)
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp Garlic Gold Oil or olive oil
- heaping 1/3 cup garbanzo bean flour (you can also use finely ground rolled oats or almond flour)
- 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (optional – Tabasco Garlic Pepper Sauce works great in these burgers)
Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil on the stove. Add the sweet potatoes and lower the heat to simmering. Let the potatoes cook for about 20-30 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside to cool. (You can also use a steamer bag and cook the potatoes in the microwave.)
While your potatoes are cooling preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non stick foil.
Once your potatoes have cooled use a fork to mash them. You want them mashed but not creamy.
In a large mixing bowl add half of the black beans and mash them with a fork.
Add the rest of the beans and the remaining ingredients
Add the rest of the beans and the remaining ingredients. Stir until just combined.
Form the mixture into 10 balls. Each burger should be about 1/2″ thick.
Place each patty on your prepared baking sheet and place in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping the burgers over once halfway through baking.
Remove from the oven and serve!