Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese and Rosemary Quiche
- For pie crust
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or substitute all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- For filling
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
Adapted from blog.kitchenaid.com
Cut the butter into small pieces and place it in the freezer while you prepare the other ingredients. Place the whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, and salt in the bowl of a KitchenAid® 13-Cup Food Processor fitted with a steel blade, then pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter pieces, then pulse just until the butter is the size of pebbles and peas, about 8-12 pulses. With the machine running, add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to form a ball. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board, pat into a disk, then refrigerate for 30 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. Place a rack in the center of the oven, then preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Wash and peel the sweet potatoes, then cut them into 1/4-inch cubes. Toss the pieces with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer, then roast at 400 degrees F until soft, about 20 minutes. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium. Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a well-floured surface. Working from the center, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle, then transfer it to an ungreased KitchenAid® Nonstick 9″ Pie Pan. With a fork, pierce rows of holes in the bottom and sides of the dough, about 1 inch apart. Place the pan in a 350 degree F oven and bake until the crust is lightly golden, 10 to 15 minutes. If you will be baking the quiche right away, increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
Layer the sweet potatoes in the bottom of the par-baked crust, then sprinkle the caramelized onions, goat cheese, and rosemary over the top. (At this point, the crust and toppings may be covered and refrigerated together for up to 24 hours.) When ready to bake, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, nutmeg, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Pour the egg mixture over the quiche, then carefully place the quiche on a large baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes, until the quiche puffs up and just barely jiggles. Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese and Rosemary Quiche Recipe
You'll also love
- Dr. Pepper Drumsticks 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- DRUNKEN KINDS CHERRY SUPER CAKE MIX 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Slow Cooked Pineapple Pork Roast 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Roasted Broccoli with Sautéed... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Green Spinach Smoothie 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Chili-Lime Chicken and Sweet... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Vegan Sweet Potato, Coconut Milk,... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)