Black Beans with Rice and Avocado
Hearty and healthy, black beans, brown rice and avocado makes a quick dinner or lunch.
- 1 pound dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Coarse salt, to tast
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 poblano chile, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco, about 4 ounces
- 1 jalapeno chile, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 160mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
In a large pot, cover beans and bay leaf with 3 inches cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, season with salt, and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain beans, reserving 4 cups cooking liquid.
Clean pot and heat over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and toast, tossing frequently, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add oil and swirl to coat bottom of pot. Add onion, poblano, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
Stir in oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt; add beans and reserved liquid. Simmer 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf; season with 1 teaspoon salt. Serve over rice, topped with avocados, cheese, jalapeno, and cilantro.
You'll also love
- Shrimp Avocado Salsa 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos Topped with... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Rosemary White Bean Soup 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
Review this recipe