Chicken and Sausage Gumbo for Two
This is the perfect comfort meal to make for two when the weather is cool. The Andouille sausage makes the dish.
- 2 (5- to 7-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces Andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
- 1 tomato, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen sliced okra
Adapted from cookscountry.com
Season chicken with salt and pepper; set aside. Toast flour in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer flour to bowl and whisk in oil. Microwave, covered, until roux is dark brown, about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through microwaving.
Transfer brown roux to now-empty pan. Stir in onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add chicken and bay leaf to pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
Transfer chicken to plate and remove pan from heat. Skim fat from surface of gumbo with large spoon. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut or shred into bite-size pieces and return to pan; discard bones.
Stir sausage, tomato, and okra into gumbo. Bring to simmer over medium heat and cook until heated through, about 7 minutes. Discard bay leaf, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve. (Gumbo can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
You'll also love
- Apple Kielbasa Appetizer 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Sweet and Sticky Baked Wings (or... 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Chicken Florentine Lasagna with... 4.4/5 (50 Votes)
- World Class Chicken Stew 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Italian Sausage and Orzo Skillet 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Kung Pao Chicken Tacos 4.4/5 (41 Votes)
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Soup 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin and Mushroom Stew... 4.7/5 (15 Votes)