Risotto with Peas, Fava Beans, and Arugula
Risotto cooking in less than 30 minutes? Use the microwave to parcook the rice, essentially giving it a head start before it hits the stove. This trick lets you make risotto with far less hands on stirring than usual.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen fava beans, thawed
- 2 ounces (2 cups) baby arugula, chopped rough
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- Salt and pepper
Adapted from yahoo.com
You can use frozen lima beans or an additional cup of frozen peas in place of the fava beans.
1. Microwave 3 cups broth, rice, and 2 tablespoons butter in large covered bowl until most of liquid is absorbed, 14 to 16 minutes.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add parcooked rice and remaining 1 cup broth. Bring to simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is almost tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
3. Stir in peas and fava beans and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in arugula, Parmesan, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.