French Onion Soup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 4 (10.5 oz) cans of beef broth
- 2 tbsp. dry sherry (opt)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter with olive oil in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat. Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions.
2. Add beef broth, sherry and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Heat oven broiler.
4. Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each. (bread may be broken in to pieces if desired) Layer each slice of bread with a slice of provolone, 1/2 slice of diced Swiss and 1 tbsp. parmesan cheese. Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly.