Meatballs in Caramelized Onion Gravy
- 1-1/4 lbs lean ground beef, room temperature
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided use
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 very large (softball size) onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (10.5-oz.) cans condensed beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt, to taste
Adapted from pinterest.com
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Place bread crumbs (panko) and buttermilk in a small bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add eggs, garlic salt, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
3) Place ground beef in a large bowl. Add egg mixture and mix to combine. Form into 40 meatballs, about 1 level tablespoon each. Place on prepared rack over baking sheet. Bake meatballs for 20 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, cover pan, and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until onions have wilted, about 10 minutes. Remove cover and cook until onions area deep golden brown, about 20 minutes longer. Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add about 2 cups of condensed beef broth, stirring until flour is completely incorporated into liquid. Bring contents of pan to a simmer. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the nutmeg. Add salt to taste. Return meatballs to skillet, lower heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until meatballs are heated through. Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles. Yield: 4 to 5 servings.