Asparagus Pesto Pasta
Paula Deen. This dish can be served warm or chilled.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 (16 oz) box farfalle pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup cooked asparagus tips (optional)
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
In a Dutch oven, add water to a depth of 3/4-inch; add 1/2 tsp. salt to water. Place a steamer basket in Dutch oven; add asparagus. Bring water to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5-7 mins. or until crisp-tender. Plunge cooked asparagus into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Cut asparagus spears into thirds.
In the work bowl of a food processor, place asparagus, 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and 1/2 tsp. kosher salt; process until almost smooth.
In a large serving bowl, combine asparagus pesto, cooked pasta, tomatoes, and, if desired, asparagus tips. Serve with additional parmesan cheese.