Slow Cooker Beef and Barley
Fat: 30 g
Carb: 60 g
Fiber: 12 g
Protein: 40 g
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless beef chuck (in one piece)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 stalks celery, quartered
- 6 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 medium leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Combine beef, barley, mushrooms, celery, carrots, leeks, beef broth and soy sauce in a slow cooker. Add 1 cup water, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cover and cook on low, undisturbed, 8 hours.
2. Uncovcer and skim off any excess fat. Transfer the beef to a cutting board, let cool slightly and slice or shred by hand into bite-size pieces. Thin the vegetable-barley mixture in the slow cooker with some water, if desired. Divide among shallow bowls and top with the beef.