Lemon Supreme Pie
This pie is the closest recipe to my favorite lemon pie from Village Inn. Light and fluffy lemon filling in a basic pie crust. I use the All-Butter Pie Crust recipe, and I freeze the second crust for later.
- 1 baked pie pastry (to fit in a 9-inch pie plate)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon pure natural lemon extract (for a smoother filling), or 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (confectioners)
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened whipped cream, (measure 1 1/2 cup sweetened heavy cream, already whipped or whipped topping (such as Cool Whip)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
Preparation time 480mins
Cooking time 480mins
Adapted from food.com
In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and pinch of salt.
Stir in water, lemon juice, lemon extract/rind, and yellow food coloring (if using) bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until smooth and thickened.
Remove from heat, and stir in butter. Cool to room temperature for about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and the powdered sugar until smooth.
Fold in the whipped cream/whipped topping and the optional 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (if using).
Remove 1/2 cup of the whipped cream/cream cheese mixture for the garnish.
Spread the remaining whipped cream/cream cheese mixture into the baked pastry shell.
Top with the cooled lemon filling.
Chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours, or overnight.
When ready to serve, scoop the reserved 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture into a pastry bag with a star tip.
Pipe stars onto the pie, or garnish with the reserved cream cheese mixture or as desired.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.