Chicken and Dumpling Soup (Richard Simmons)
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup vidalia/sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose if you prefer)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp each of garlic powder and onion powder
- pinch of salt (optional for lower sodium)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
1. Put 4 cups of water on high.
2. Once the water starts to boil, put the chicken breasts in, partially cover, and let simmer on low.
3. While the chicken cooks (for about 15 minutes), chop the vegetables.
4. After 15 minutes, remove the chicken and let cool on a plate (doesn't need to be completely cooked as it will be added later)
5. Measure out 1/4 cup of all purpose flour in small bowl and slowly add the chicken stock to prevent clumps.
6. Pour out the water from the chicken and add in 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock (remaining amount). Heat on high.
7. When the chicken stock begins to boil, add the chopped vegetables. Keep on medium heat.
8. Tear apart the cooled chicken into small strips or chunks.
9. Stir the flour/broth mixture into the chicken stock and veggies on the stove. (It should start to thicken)
10. Add the chicken.
11. In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, parsley, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir in the milk just until moistened. Drop by tsp into the simmering broth. (They will puff up a lot while cooking)
12. Cover the pot tightly and let simmer for 15 minutes.
(Original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/Low-Calorie-yet-Delicious-Chicken-and-Baby-Dumplings-124658)
To make lower in calories, vegan or vegetarian, you can replace the chicken with more dumplings, larger chopped vegetables, or cubed potatoes. Enjoy!
Serving size: 1 cup (makes about 7)
You'll also love
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Jamaican Mango Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken Diablo Chili - LLBean 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Quick Southern Chicken and... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Semmelknoedel a.k.a. German Bread... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
Review this recipe