Pumpkin, Black Bean, & Jalapeno Quesadilla with Pumpkin Chipotle Crema
Spicy quesadillas are dressed up in black and orange for Halloween but they can be enjoyed any time of year!
585.3 calories, 27.3 grams fat, 13.2 grams saturated fat, 12 grams fiber, 4.4 grams sugar, 47.2 grams protein
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree, canned or homemade
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce, such as tobasco, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped, optional
- 1 whole wheat tortilla (I like Trader Joe's Handmade Whole Wheat Tortillas)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated 50% reduced fat jalapeno cheddar cheese (such as Cabot)
- 1/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt (Fage is my favorite)
- 1 tablespoon pure pumpkin puree, canned or homemade
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce, or more to taste
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 9mins
Heat oil in a medium non-stick skillet set over medium heat.
Add in the chopped onion and minced jalapeno, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Reduce heat to medium low. Add in the drained black beans, cumin, and salt & pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add in the pumpkin puree, hot sauce, & cilantro (if using) and stir until warmed through, about 2 additional minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl and wipe out skillet.
Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly over 1/2 of the tortilla. Spoon the pumpkin & black bean mixture evenly over the cheese. Top with remaining cheese and fold empty half of tortilla over filling like a book.
Place filled tortilla into the clean skillet and cook, turning halfway through, until the cheese has melted and the tortilla is crisp, about 4 minutes total.
Meanwhile, prepare the chipotle pumpkin crema: in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, pumpkin puree, and hot sauce until smooth and well combined.
Cut the quesadilla into 3 wedges and serve with the crema.
You'll also love
- Open-face Blueberry Pie 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Cucumber Collins 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Baked Shredded Carrots 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Passover Zucchini Kugel 3.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Copycat Pumpkin Spice Muffins 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Kristin Chenoweth’s Pumpkin Roll... 3.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Three Bean Salad 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Tilapia with Quinoa & Black Beans 4.3/5 (4 Votes)