Low Carb Ham Mac and Cheese Casserole
This awesome low carb mac and cheese substitutes pasta with cauliflower. I have to admit I was skeptical at 1st but once I tried it, I was hooked. Love this recipe!
Recipe From: George Stella’s Good Carb Family Cookbook.
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT:
- Cooking oil spray
- Kosher salt for water
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets and pieces
- 3 ⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus 1⁄2 cup more for topping the casserole
- 6 ounces baked ham, cubed
- 8 x 8 inch oven-proof casserole dish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from pinterest.com
Place the rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 375°F
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Spray the casserole dish with cooking oil.
Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water for about 5 minutes until crisp yet tender. Drain well, pat between layers of paper towels to dry and transfer to the baking dish.
Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan and whisk in the cream cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic until smooth.
Stir in 1 1⁄2 cups of the cheese and whisk for just a minute until the cheese melts. Remove from the heat and pour into the casserole dish, covering the cauliflower.
Sprinkle the cubed ham over all, top with the remaining 1⁄2 cup cheese and bake for about 15 minutes until browned and bubbly hot. Let cool for about 5 minutes and serve.
Although I suggest using the leftovers from a ham dinner to make this casserole, packages of fully cooked, cubed ham are available in the meat department of grocery stores sold above the baked hams.
Calories 210 /Fat 16g /Protein 6g / Fiber 3g /Net Carbs 4