Veal Roast Stuffed With Spinach, Pancetta, And Frittata
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach leaves washed thoroughly
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 2 pounds boneless veal loin butterflied, and pounded thin with a mallet
- 1/4 pound thinly-sliced Pancetta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth plus
- extra if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Cook the spinach in a covered 12-inch sauté pan over high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan, rinse, chop, and squeeze dry. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the same pan over medium heat and add the spinach and 1/3 cup of the Parmigiano; cook 5 minutes. Cool and drain off any liquid.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining 1/3 cup of Parmigiano. Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over a medium flame, add the eggs, and cook until set on both sides, about 2 minutes per side, turning once. Remove this frittata to a plate.
Place the veal on a cutting board, smooth side down. Top with the Pancetta, then with the frittata, cutting the frittata as needed to cover it, and finally with the sautéed spinach. Roll lengthwise into a bundle and tie with butcher's string.
Heat the olive oil and the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a 12-inch sauté pan over a medium-high flame. Add the veal and sear until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes, turning to cook evenly. Add the wine and cook 5 minutes. Add the broth, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 1 hour, or until the veal is firm but not dry and lets out a clear juice when pierced, adding broth as needed. Discard the string, slice thinly, and serve hot, with the pan juices.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Preparation Tips: Stuff the veal up to 12 hours ahead and refrigerate.
You'll also love
- Pan-Roasted Halibut With An... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Figs Stuffed With Foie Gras Mousse 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crab Cakes With Red Beet And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cornish Hens With Fresh Figs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheddar's Santa Fe Spinach Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chart House's Spinach Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Gooseberry Jelly 0/5 (0 Votes)