BAKED CORNISH HEN CUMBERLAND
- 4 Hens thawed
- Dash of pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
- 1/4 cup shredded.orange peel
- 1 1/2 1 1/2 tbsp shredded lemon peel
- 3/4 cup orange juke
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup currant jelly
- 1 cup Madeira wine (ONLY AT SPECIALTY LIQUOR STORES ) 1 tsp dry mustard 1/2 tsp fresh ginger Dash of Tabasco Sauce
- STUFFING: they are extra nice if they are stuffed with a mostly vegetable stuffing first
1. Heat oven to 500 degrees, sprinkle inside of each hen with a dash of salt and pepper.
(DON'T FORGET STUFFING ) Tie legs together and place hens in shallow roasting pan
breast side up. brush with melted butter.
2. Roast, uncovered for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degrees.
3. Turn hens breast side down and pour 1/2 cup water over the hens. Cover pan with
foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
4. Turn hens breast side up. Baste with pan drippings. Roast, uncovered — for 30
minutes — basting several times.
5. Meanwhile, make sauce. In small saucepan, combine orange peels, lemon peels,
orange juice and lemon juice. Bring to boil and cook over medium heat, uncovered
for 15 minutes or until peels become transparent.
6. Add jelly, wine, mustard, ginger and Tabasco sauce. Bring to boil, reduce heat and
simmer for 20 minutes.
7. To serve ~ arrange birds on serving platter or individual plates and pour sauce