Slow Cooker Texas Style Beef Brisket
- 1 (2.5 - 3) pound lean beef brisket
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chilis
- 1/2 cup broth, low sodium, fat free (beef, chicken or vegetable will work)
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 cup spicy barbecue sauce, more or less to taste (we like Annie's Naturals, BBQ Sauce) or check out our recipe
Adapted from skinnyms.com
Combine all the ingredients--except barbecue sauce--in a bowl, stir and pour over brisket. I like to marinate the brisket right in the slow cooker insert. Marinating is optional but it really adds to the flavor. Marinate brisket in the refrigerator over night if preferred, otherwise move to the next step.
Note: If your brisket has a layer of fat, be sure to place the brisket fat side up in the slow cooker. After brisket is done and goes in the roaster pan, remove fat and discard before shredding, slicing or adding barbecue sauce.
All all marinade ingredients into the slow cooker, stir and add brisket. Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until tender and easily flakes with a fork.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add brisket, along with 1/2 cup juices from the slow cooker, to a roasting pan. Discard the remaining liquid along with bay leafs. Either pull the brisket apart with 2 forks or slice thinly across the grain. Pour barbecue sauce over brisket and heat for 15 minutes.
Serve on toasted wheat buns or rolls if desired.
TIP: To lower the calories, fat and carbohydrates, simply cut the serving size in half...which will equal 1/2 cup.
You'll also love
- Couscous-and-Spinach Stuffing 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Standing Rib Roast with Red Wine... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Maple Bacon Cheesecake-Dairy Free 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Bacon Cheeseburger Bundles 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Slow-Cooked Beef Stew 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Chili Beef Cornbread Casserole 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Pioneer Woman's Beef Brisket 4.1/5 (24 Votes)