General Tso's Cauliflower
General Tso's Cauliflower brings a sweet and spicy taste to this flexible vegetable. Serve with some fried rice to complete the meal.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Peanut oil for frying
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ginger root, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons garlic chili sauce ( you can find this in the Asian isle at most grocery store)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- White rice and steamed broccoli for serving
- Green onions for garnish
Adapted from bakeaholicmama.com
To prepare your cauliflower, in a medium mixing bowl mix together cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil, and egg until a you form a batter. Should be a tad thick but not quite as thin as pancake batter.
Toss cauliflower in batter until evenly coated. Set aside for about 15-20 minutes.
In a heavy bottomed fry pan, add 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and heat until the pan is hot.
Toss in cauliflower florets and fry over medium heat until evenly browned on all sides. Do not over crowd! If you need to, make them in batches, remove cauliflower from pan an place on a paper towel while you repeat the process (making sure to use more peanut oil as needed).
Once cauliflower is prepared, start your sauce.
In a separate sauce pan, add sesame oil and peanut oil with your garlic and ginger. Saute until fragrant.
Mix in remaining sauce ingredients and whisk constantly over medium high heat, until it comes to a low boil.
Once sauce has thickened, add to the fry pan you cooked your cauliflower in and toss with fried cauliflower.
Over medium low heat, toss the cauliflower until it is evenly coated in the sauce.
Serve over white rice and with a side of steamed broccoli. Garnish with green onions.
You'll also love
- Red and Green Bell Pepper Bites 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Garlic & Cheese Pull-Apart Bread 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Cauliflower Tacos with Creamy Lime... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
Review this recipe