Cheese Fondue Melting Pot Cheddar with Beer
This fondue is made with medium-aged cheddar and Emmentaler Swiss cheeses, lager beer, and garlic. You can serve it with lots of bread; I recommend pumpernickel, wheat, or sourdough. I also love this with green apples. You can be creative with this dish, so serve it with breads or vegetables that you enjoy.
- 1/2 cup Coors Light beer
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces medium-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces Emmentaler Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- I used half the beer and substituted milk for rest and used all cheddar, no Swiss. Ended up adding lots more milk to thin it so it was not sticky and stringy.
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from copykat.com
If you are using an electric fondue pot, turn it onto medium; otherwise use a double boiler to heat up this mixture.
Place beer, garlic, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in the pot and combine well.
Shred or cube the cheeses and toss with flour, coating the cheese well. (The flour will help thicken the sauce.)
When the beer mixture is warm, add one-third of the cheese and whisk very well. Once the cheese has been incorporated well, add half of the remaining cheese and whisk in very well. Add the remaining cheese and whisk until nice and smooth.
If you do not wish to make this with beer, I cannot give you a suggestion for the beer other than a product like O’Doul’s or a near-beer with less than 3.2 percent alcohol. The beer flavor really adds a lot to this dish. Please do not serve this dish to people who do not drink alcohol. Alcohol really doesn’t fully cook out of the food. The Melting Pot uses vegetable broth in place of beer for those that do not want alcohol. It is just as good as with the beer.
You'll also love
- Killer Potato Latkes 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Spider Web Cake 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Bloody Band-Aid Cookies (Halloween) 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic Pull-Apart Bread 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- The Best Nachos 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon, Fennel and Goat... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Masala-Spiced Lentil Hummus 4.4/5 (9 Votes)