Southern Buttermilk Cornbread
- 2 cups yellow corn meal
- 2 Tbsp self-rising flour
- 2 cups milk or buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 corn oil, melted butter or margarine
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Preheat oven to 425F.
Use butter, margarine, oil, or shortening to grease an iron skillet. Sprinkle some corn meal in the bottom to keep cornbread from sticking.
Put empty, seasoned pan in oven while preheating. This will get the pan hot and ready to receive your batter for perfect browning.
mix together corn meal and self-rising flour. Add milk or buttermilk, eggs (beaten or unbeaten), and oil. Mix well. Using pot holders, slide iron skillet out just enough to turn batter into it, or pour into a well greased 13×9×1 inch pan and bake for 35 min. Pan must be shallow for good browning, or turn into well greased pan 9×9×2 and bake 45 minutes.
Sometimes I prefer to just put the cornbread batter in the hot pan and turn down the oven to 350 while I cook other foods. When you get used to a golden brown and sometimes cracked top, you'll know when it's done just right.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Beef and Broccoli 4.4/5 (47 Votes)
- Sicilian Orange Cake 4.4/5 (48 Votes)
- CORNED BEEF HASH 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Leite's Buttermilk Cornbread 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe