ROASTED SUNCHOKE SOUP WITH CARAMELIZED SHALLOTS
- 3 1/2 cups scrubbed and peeled sunchokes, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1" pieces
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 + teaspoons sea salt
- fresh thyme for garnish
Adapted from ahouseinthehills.com
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Thoroughly clean sunchokes, use a paring knife to peel off the skins.
- On a large baking sheet combine onion, garlic cloves and sunchokes. Sprinkle with a couple hearty pinches of sea salt. Toss vegetables in 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil and cook for 15- 20 minutes or until sunchokes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- While vegetables are roasting combine shallots and coconut oil in a nonstick pan. Heat over very low heat, stirring every 7 minutes, until browned and slightly crispy. The trick to the best caramelized shallots is to cook over the lowest possible heat! If cooking with an electric oven consider using a flame deflector.
- In a medium soup pot combine roasted vegetables, almond milk, vegetable broth and sea salt. Bring to a low boil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until sunchokes are easily crushed with a fork.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until creamy. Add more sea salt to taste.
- Garnish soup with caramelized shallots and thyme. Serve immediately!