Cheesy Tuna Casserole
Found this recipe for a tuna casserole and changed it up, it was so good.
- 1 (12 oz) package of Rotini or corkscrew macaroni (shells would work too)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded gouda or edam cheese
- 3 (6 oz) cans of solid white tuna, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 tomatoes thinly sliced about 1/4" thick
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 cup crushed Fritos
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. In saucepan, cook pasta in salted boiling water till al dente. Drain and return pasta to pan, set aside.
2. In small skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter and saute onions till tender, add lemon pepper seasoning, set aside.
3. In large saucepan, melt 2 tbsp butter over low heat. Whisk in flour, salt, pepper and cook 1 minute.
4. Gradually add milk, increasing heat to medium high and add saute onions. Cook till mixture thickens, whisking occasionally.
5. Once thicken, remove from heat and stir in 2 cups swiss and 1/2 cup gouda or edam cheese, stirring till melted.
6. Spray a 9 x 13 pan
7. Add cheese sauce to pasta and tuna. Add peas. Mix till evenly tossed.
8. Pour and spread into 9 x 13 pan.
9. Sprinkle Frito crumbs over cheese.
10. Arrange tomatoes on top, overlap if necessary.
11. Salt & pepper tomatoes.
12. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over tomatoes.
13. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes (Cover pan)
14. Uncover and cook additional 10-15 minutes till hot & bubbly.