- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes, cut-side up, on a baking sheet and roast until the edges begin to brown, about 30 minutes. While tomatoes cook, heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add oil, onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. Add stock and brown sugar. Increase heat to high until the soup boils, then reduce heat to medium-low.
When tomatoes are cooked, transfer to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and pulse several times (do this in 2 or 3 batches). Add to the pot. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 servings.