Baked Calamari Rings
Most Calamari recipes call for frying but this dish uses a healthier approach, baking. These oven Baked Calamari Rings are a light, crispy delicious delight!
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle or dill relish
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 pound calamari, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1 cup of flour, more if needed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic per cup of panko (optional)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to season
Cooking time 65mins
Combine the mayonnaise, relish and minced onion in a small mixing bowl, stirring thoroughly to mix the flavors well. Add the lemon juice. Season with the salt and pepper, stir well.
Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour before serving.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and mist with cooking spray.
Place flour in one bowl, lightly beaten egg in a second, and the panko (and granulated garlic, if using) in a third.
Place calamari, a few at a time, into the flour mixture, then transfer to second bowl to coat with egg, and finally into the third bowl to coat all surface of the calamari with panko.
Place coated pieces on baking sheet, not touching. Repeat until all calamari is coated.
Bake 10 minutes; turn pieces with tongs; return to oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until panko has turned a golden brown. Serve immediately.