Balsamic Chicken and Apple Skewers
Kids will eat pretty much anything served on a stick, and these tasty skewers are no exception. Juicy chicken, marinated in a sweet and tangy balsamic sauce, is partnered with apples and red onions to make a flavor combination that's pleasing to the whole family. Served atop a bed of rice, it's a fast, healthy and delicious meal.
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice , (about 1 medium orange)
- 3 garlic cloves,, smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, (extra virgin)
- 1 green apple, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- bamboo or metal skewers
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Measure vinegar, brown sugar, orange juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper into a large zip-top bag. Seal and shake to combine. Cut chicken breasts into 1 1/2 inch cubes and add to the bag, seal and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to one day.
Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from the marinade, and place the marinade, minus the garlic, in a small saucepan. Heat the marinade to boiling and boil until slightly thickened and reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes. Reserve.
Skewer the chicken, along with the apples and onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan (or your broiler) to medium high. Drizzle pan with a little oil to keep the skewers from sticking. Place the skewers on the pan and grill for 4 minutes. Turn them a quarter of the way around and grill another 4 minutes. Finish grilling the remaining two sides for 4 minutes each, grilling the skewers for a total of 16 minutes. If using your broiler, broil for about 10 minutes total, flipping once.
Serve over rice and drizzle with reduced marinade.
You'll also love
- Mosaic Chicken Terrine (Paula Deen) 3.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Cuban Chicken and Pineapple Salad 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Three Cheese Ziti 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Hearty Chipotle Chicken Soup 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Pineapple sauce/glaze for hamloaf... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Apple Cake 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Balsamic Chicken Thighs 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken and Quinoa Burrito... 4.2/5 (8 Votes)
Review this recipe