Apple Pie (Matthew)
Crust yields 2 single pie shells
- Filling Ingredients:
- Short Crust Ingredients: (Equation: Pastry = 1/2 fat to flour)
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces with a sharp knife (must be cold)
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 4 Large Ontario apples, peeled, cored, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup brown or granulated sugar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- 1/2 Tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- pinch groun allspice
1. In large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 forks until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Gradually stir cold water into flour mixture, adding only enough liquid to make dough cling together.
3. Gather into a ball and divide into 2 portions.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 min.
5. In large bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and toss with apple slices.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (bake on lower rack)
7. Roll out a portion of dough (11 inches in diameter) on a lightly floured surface. Roll from the centre to outside edges in all 4 directions. If edges begin to break pinch together at once.
8. To transfer pie to pie dish, fold pastry in half over the rolling pin and carefully fit pastry into a 9 inch pie plate. Unfold it and gently ease the pastry into the pie dish and press toward the centre with fingertips. Trim edge.
9. Place filling in pie shell. Moisten edge of crust with water.
10. Roll out the other portion of pastry (10 inch diameter) and centre over filling. Trim top edge of crust.
11. Roll out extra pastry and cut into 1/2 inch strips. wet rim of pastry in pie dish with water and a pastry brush and place strips around the edge to create pie edge.
12. Knock edges with a knife and flute edges or press with finger and thumb to seal the crusts.
13. Brush the top of the pastry with milk and sprinkle very lightly with sugar and cinnamon.
14. Make a 1/2 inch hole or score several slashes in the centre of the top of the pastry to allow for steam to escape.
15. Bake on the lower rack of the oven for about 45 to 50 min or until pastry is crisp and golden.
16. While baking, if the pastry gets too dark and the filling is not bubbly or very hot, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F for the final 15 min of baking.