Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Hot Cocoa Recipe
This perfectly creamy, rich hot cocoa is best paired with a blanket and a book by the fire.
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups (1 quart) milk
- 1/3 cup hot water
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
- Miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
Preparation time 25mins
Adapted from hersheys.com
Stir together sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk; stirring constantly, heat to serving temperature. Do Not Boil.
Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with rotary beater or whisk until foamy. Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired. Five 8 ounce servings.
VARIATIONS: Add one of the following with the vanilla extract:
SPICED COCOA: 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Serve with cinnamon stick, if desired.
MINT COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon mint extract OR 3 tablespoons crushed hard peppermint candy OR 2 to 3 tablespoons white creme de menthe. Serve with peppermint candy stick, if desired.
CITRUS COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon orange extract OR 2 to 3 tablespoons orange liqueur.
SWISS MOCHA: 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee.
COCOA AU LAIT: Omit marshmallows or whipped cream. Spoon 2 tablespoons softened vanilla ice cream on top of each cup of cocoa at serving time.
SLIM-TRIM COCOA: Omit sugar. Combine cocoa, salt and water; substitute nonfat milk. Proceed as above. With vanilla, stir in sugar substitute with sweetening equivalence of 1/2 cup sugar.
CANADIAN COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon maple extract.
MICROWAVE SINGLE SERVING: Combine 1 heaping teaspoon HERSHEY'S Cocoa, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt in microwave-safe cup or mug. Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir to blend; serve.
You'll also love
- Steak, Spinach & Feta Pinwheels 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- World best Chicken Francaise or... 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Beef Stew with Dark Brown Gravy -... 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Fritters with Yogurt... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifle 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Vegan Green Chili & Lentil Tamales 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Vanilla Cinnamon Tapioca Pudding 4.5/5 (22 Votes)