Black Bean Soup
302 calories, 5g fat, (1g sat.), 19g protein
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced $
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced $
- 4 carrots, diced (about 1 cup) $
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced $
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt $
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro $
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from allyou.com
1. Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 12 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in broth and beans, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove 2 cups of soup and puree in a blender. Stir pureed soup back into pot and cook 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon soup into bowls, top with yogurt and cilantro and serve.