Chipotle Black Bean Stuffed Delicata Squash
This Chipotle Black Bean Stuffed Delicata Squash is delicious as written but, is just one idea, you could stuff these squashes with just about whatever you’d like with great results.
- 4 delicata squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
- 3 green onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 70mins
Start the brown rice (or, make it beforehand and heat it slightly prior to serving). We’ve found in our rice cooker it takes about 40 minutes to cook, but on the stove can take up to 1 hour. Since the filling is added after the squash is roasted, you can roast the squash while cooking the rice.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Wash the squash, then cut it in half and scoop out the seeds.
Rub each squash half with ½ tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. OR — Optional: Make a chipotle marinade for the squash. (This step can easily be skipped in favor of rubbing with olive oil.) Dice 2 cloves garlic and 1 chipotle chili; combine with 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce and ¼ cup olive oil (we used a mortar and pestle), then rub on both sides of the squash.
Place the squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for about 25 minutes, until tender when poked with a fork.
Meanwhile, when the rice finishes, thinly slice the green onions. Chop the cilantro.
In a large bowl, mix together 2½ cups cooked brown rice, 1 ½ cups salsa, 1 can of black beans, 1½ cups frozen or canned corn kernels, 3 green onions, 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, 1½ teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons chili powder ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ cup shredded cheese. Taste, and adjust seasonings if desired.
When the squash are done, fill each half with the filling mixture. If desired, top with a few dashes hot sauce. Cover with shredded cheese. Place back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Top with chopped cilantro and serve, with sour cream if desired.
You'll also love
- Cheesy Potatoes 4.2/5 (40 Votes)
- Pasta with Bacon and Brie 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon Cheese Balls 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Vegetable Side: Roasted Maple... 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Fried Mac & Cheese Balls 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Cheese Tortellini Soup w/... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Cheesecake Pumpkin Pie 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Pumpkin Butter & Brownie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (15 Votes)