Spaghetti with Peas and Tomato Sauce and Mushrooms
- For the Mushrooms:
- 1 cup of peas – fresh or frozen
- 1 medium onion – sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of wine
- 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of fresh Italian parsley – chopped
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 – 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. of De Cecco Organic Spaghetti
- 1 quart of button mushrooms – sliced
- 1 tablespoons wine
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.blogspot.com
Heat a large frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the sliced onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is transparent and the garlic is fragrant.
Add the peas, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, parsley and seasonings. Gently simmer on low with the pan almost covered. (I use a metal, shallow baking pan to slightly cover my cast iron frying pan.)
For the Mushrooms:
Heat a medium sized frying pan with the olive oil and butter. Add the mushrooms, parsley, wine, salt and red pepper flakes and sauté for a minute or two.
Set aside while preparing the spaghetti.
Lift the spaghetti out of the water, draining as you lift, and into the sauce.
Plate the spaghetti. Place the mushrooms in the pan the sauce was in to quickly reheat and top on the spaghetti.
Garnish with grated cheese a drizzle of olive oil and dash of red pepper flakes.