Green Pie Fish Pie
From Jamie Oliver
- 1 kilogram potatoes
- 1 lemon
- 40 grams unsalted butter
- 400 grams frozen peas
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- olive oil
- 500 millilitres semi-skimmed milk
- 2 150 g frozen salmon fillets
- 2 150 g frozen white fish fillets
- 65 grams plain flour
- 100 grams frozen spinach
- 125 grams frozen cooked peeled prawns
- 1 heaping teaspoon English mustard
- 40 grams Cheddar cheese
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 95mins
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Peel the potatoes and cut into large even-sized chunks, then put them into a large pan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and mash with a pinch of salt and pepper, the zest from the lemon and the butter. Place the frozen peas in a colander, pour over some boiling water to defrost them, then drain well and pulse a few times in a food processor. Fold them through the mashed potato to create a rippled effect, then leave to one side.
2. Peel and chop the carrots and onions and cook them in a large ovenproof pan (roughly 30cm in diameter) with a lug of oil for 15 minutes, or until softened but not coloured, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, heat the milk in a pan on a medium heat. Once simmering, add all the frozen fish fillets for around 10 minutes, or until cooked through, then use a slotted spoon to remove them to a plate, taking the pan off the heat.
3. Stir the flour into the carrots and onions, then gradually add the milk, a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously. Stir in the spinach until broken down, then season to perfection. Flake in the fish fillets (carefully remove and discard the skin if the fillets have it), add the prawns, mustard and the juice from half the lemon, grate in the Cheddar and stir gently to combine. Top with the pea-spiked mash and smooth out, scuffing it up slightly with a fork to give it great texture. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until beautifully golden. Serve with a good old helping of baked beans (if you like) – delicious!