Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 ounces wild mushrooms, cooked and coarsely chopped, approximately 3/4 cup
- 7 ounces asparagus, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces, approximately 1 1/2 cups
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan, approximately 1/2 cup
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
In an electric kettle or medium saucepan with a lid, combine chicken broth and white wine and heat just to simmering. Keep warm.
In a large 3 to 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and sweat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the grains are translucent around the edges. Be careful not to allow the grains or the onions to brown.
Reduce the heat to low. Add enough of the wine and chicken stock just to cover the top of the rice. Stir or move the pan often, until the liquid is completely absorbed into rice. Once absorbed, add another amount of liquid just to cover the rice and continue stirring or moving as before. There should be just enough liquid left to repeat 1 more time. It should take approximately 35 to 40 minutes for all of the liquid to be absorbed. After the last addition of liquid has been mostly absorbed, add the mushrooms and asparagus and stir until risotto is creamy and asparagus is heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan, lemon zest, and nutmeg. Taste and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
*Cook's Note: If fresh wild mushrooms are not available, reconstituted dried mushrooms can be used instead. Place 2 ounces of dried mushrooms into a bowl and cover with warm water. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes or until all the mushrooms are soft and pliable.
You'll also love
- Trisha Yearwood's coconut cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon Beer Cheese Soup w/ chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- PA Dutch Rhubarb Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- New Potatoes and Peas with Ham 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken with Boursin Mushroom sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- SAUTEED FIDDLEHEAD AND MUSHROOM... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tuscan-Style Roasted Asparagus 0/5 (0 Votes)