Smoked Sausage, Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Soup
A hearty, flavorful soup with smoked sausage, roasted and puréed butternut squash, and wild rice is just what you need for an autumn dinner.
- 1 medium butternut squash, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, such as kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Season the squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Peel and seed the squash. In a blender, purée the squash with 2 cups of the chicken stock. Purée until smooth and set aside.
In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring 4 cups of the stock and 1/2 cup of the chopped onions to a simmer. Stir in the rice and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally with a fork. Remove the rice from the pan and cool.
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and brown for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups onions and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 6 cups of stock and squash purée. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Stir in the rice and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the cream and reason with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and serve.
You'll also love
- Smoky Bacon Mac 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Pistaschio Cranberry Biscotti 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie with Candied Pecans 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Vegan - Pumpkin "Pie" Squares 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- SAUSAGE, POTATOES AND SAUERKRAUT... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Maple-Roasted Butternut Squash and... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Crockpot Red Curry Chicken &... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)