SWEET PUMPKIN STRUDEL
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough (18 by 14 inch rectangles) thawed
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar, or other coarse sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey, for serving
- Whipped cream, for serving, optional
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
FOR THE FILLING: Combine the pumpkin, cream cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and nutmeg in a small bowl. Mix until nearly uniform and set aside.
Place 2 sheets of the phyllo on top of one another and brush the top sheet with some of the butter. (Keep the remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from becoming dry and brittle.)
Cut the 2 layered sheets of phyllo lengthwise to create 2 long strips. Place a well-mounded tablespoon of the filling about 2 inches from the end of the dough strip.
TO SHAPE: Fold the bottom edge of the phyllo up and over the filling. Fold in the sides and roll up to encase the filling, brushing the exposed dry phyllo with some of the butter as you roll. Place the rolled phyllo on a baking sheet, seam-side-down. Brush the top of the phyllo with some of the butter. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle the tops of the phyllo with pecans and turbinado sugar. Bake until the phyllo is golden brown about 15 minutes. Serve the phyllo warm drizzled with the honey and topped with wqhipped cream if using.