Red Velvet Peppermint Cake
Transform a classic red velvet cake into a festive holiday dessert by adding peppermint extract to the rich cream cheese frosting and garnishing the cake with peppermint candies.
- PEPPERMINT CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 (18 1/4-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (9-ounce) package yellow cake mix*
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (2-pound) package powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Beat first 4 ingredients according to cake mix package directions.
Beat yellow cake mix and next 6 ingredients according to package directions. Spoon red batter alternately with white batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Swirl batter gently with a knife.
Bake at 350°F for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
Spread Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. (Cake may be chilled up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month.) Garnish, if desired. Serve within 2 hours.
*1 3/4 cups yellow cake mix may be substituted
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe White Cake Mix, Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake Mix, and McCormick Red Food Color.
If cake is frozen, thaw completely before garnishing to prevent crushed candy from running. Do not refrigerate after garnishing.
Peppermint cream cheese frosting:
Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at low speed until smooth. Add extract, beating until blended.
*2 teaspoons vanilla extract may be substituted.
For Quick Peppermint Frosting, stir together 3 (16-ounce) containers ready-to-spread cream cheese frosting and 2 teaspoons peppermint extract.
You'll also love
- Cranberry Christmas Cake 3.8/5 (479 Votes)
- Christmas Vanilla Roll Cake 3.9/5 (202 Votes)
- Jan's Sauce 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Creamy Parmesan Risotto 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Luscious Lemon Delight 3.7/5 (46 Votes)
- The Pioneer Woman's Prune Cake 3.9/5 (58 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Swirl Fudge 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Almond Roca 4/5 (24 Votes)