Christmas Vanilla Roll Cake
This cake may not be a yule log, but it is certainly a log that brings happiness and joy! This moist cake is rolled up with vanilla buttercream—delicious!
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (30 grams) cake flour, sifted
- 3 tablespoons (30 grams) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup red & green Wilton batter bits (found at WalMart)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- VANILLA BUTTERCREAM:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups (360 grams) powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons red and green sprinkles
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 teaspoons heavy cream
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- Red and green sprinkles
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Heat the oven to 450°F. Line a 17X12-inch jelly pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl add the 2 eggs, 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar. With the paddle attachment on, beat on medium to hight speed 3-5 minutes until pale in color and thickened. Add the vanilla extract and beat few more seconds.
Sift the flour and the cornstarch over the egg yolks mixture and with a spatula gently fold it in. Fold in the batter bits as well.
In a separate grease free bowl, add the 2 egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sugar. With a whisk, whip until firm peaks form. With the spatula, fold the whipped egg whites into the egg yolks mixture.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan, spread it evenly and bake for 6-7 minutes until golden brown and, when touched, it springs back.
As soon as you remove the cake from the oven sprinkle with powder sugar and then invert the cake onto a clean dish towel. Remove the parchment paper, sprinkle with more powder sugar, and roll up the cake with the towel. Place on a wire rack to cool
In a clean bowl add the butter. With the whisk attached on to the the mixer whip the butter for 2-3 minutes on medium to high speed. Lower the speed and slowly add the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. When all the sugar is incorporated increase the speed and whip for 2 more minutes.
Add few drops of heavy cream until it reaches the consistency you desire.
With a spatula fold in the sprinkles.
Gently unroll the cake and spread the buttercream evenly all over it. Roll it again and place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
To decorate, melt the white chocolate in double boiler or microwave and pour it over the cake. Add more sprinkles if desired.
Let the chocolate settle for few minutes and slice the cake.
You'll also love
- White Gummy Bear 4/5 (157 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Autumn Harvest Veggie... 4.5/5 (74 Votes)
- Mini Tiramisu Cups 4.5/5 (75 Votes)
- Pecan Pie Cobbler 4.1/5 (108 Votes)
- World's Best Corned Beef Cheese... 4.5/5 (77 Votes)
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter... 4.5/5 (69 Votes)
- White Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread... 4.5/5 (60 Votes)
- Chocolate-Rum Truffle Torte 4.3/5 (56 Votes)