Pinto Beans Cowgirl Style
While I keep canned beans in my pantry for emergencies, I much prefer to soak and cook my own beans. These Pinto Beans Cowgirl Style is an easy and delicious recipe, adapted from Pioneer Woman Cooks. I froze a few portions of these beans to make my own refried beans or chili beans.
This recipe is a perfect accompaniment for tri-tip, that our family loves to grill.
- 4 cups pinto beans (soaked in water, overnight)
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon (or ham hock, or salt pork or ham)
- 1 hamhock, optional (I had one in the freezer, so I added with bacon...we love the flavor)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely minced (this is my own personal touch)
- 1 to 2 onions, finely chopped (I love them, so in they went)
- Seasonings (after beans cooked, and to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce (we love it)
- 1 tablespoon cumin, optional (I love it, so I added that)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 140mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Rinse beans in cool water and add to a pot; add water 2-3 inches above the ingredients.
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about two hours. Add water, as needed.
The liquid should be syrupy (if mine doesn't thin out, I remove the lid for a while to reduce the liquid)
Towards the end of the cooking, add seasonings. Go easy on the salt, especially if you are using bacon. Add slowly and taste each time. You can't take away, if you over did it!
Have fun with your seasonings-- you can add chili powder, paprika, cayenne, whatever your taste buds like.
Garnish with sour cream and fresh cilantro (which I adore, but you might want to use parsley instead, or green onions, or even finely diced yellow onion.
Serve with cornbread or as a side dish with beef.
You'll also love
- Cinnamon Apple Pie Bread 4/5 (21 Votes)
- Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash... 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Pepparkakor (Swedish Gingerbread) 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Root Beer Baked Beans with Bacon 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Crockpot Creamy Black Bean Chicken... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- White Bean Burgers with Spinach 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Grand Old Flag Cake 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Grilled Ribeye Steak with Onion... 4.3/5 (13 Votes)