Gingersnap and Orange Cheesecake
- 1 3/4 cups crushed gingersnap cookies*
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 16 ounces (1 pound) sour cream
- 4 tablespoons orange zest (no white bitter pith)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
Adapted from dixiecrystals.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. To make crust: Crush gingersnaps with a rolling pin to obtain 1 3/4 cups. Add melted butter and combine well. Press onto the bottom of a 9 inch diameter spring form pan and place in the oven for 12 minutes or golden. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F
3. Place springform pan on 3 layers of aluminum foil and wrap the outside of the pan tightly with foil. Ensure that no water could penetrate thru the foil. Place in a roasting pan and set aside.
4. Blend cream cheese and sugar on lowest speed, alternatively mix by using a hand held spatula until no lumps remain. Scrape bowl well. Add one egg at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated, scrape bowl and beater between additions.
5. Add sour cream, orange zest and fresh grated ginger and pour batter into the springform pan.
6. Pour water into the roasting pan about one inch high and place in the oven.
7. Bake until the center of the cake no longer trembles when tapping the sides of the pan, about 2 hours.
8. Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes and place in the refrigerator overnight.
9. Run a sharp knife around the edge and bottom of the cheesecake and cut into desired size.