Orange Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Orange Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Serves 4
- Tags: dinner lunch rice, grains and breads poultry vegetables stir fry boil simmer Yum-o! Family-Friendly Submitted by
- Rachael Ray
- Yum-o! Family-Friendly
- on 12/16/07This stir fry is an excellent way to jazz up chicken breasts!
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 1/4 cups chicken stock, regular or low sodium, divided
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 bag of broccoli florets (16 ounces)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6-8 ounces each), cut into large, bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts (5 ounces)
- 1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley leaves (about a handful), chopped
PreparationHeat a saucepot over medium-high heat, adding one turn of the pan of vegetable oil, about 1 tablespoon. Once hot, add the jasmine rice and a little salt and pepper and stir to coat in the oil. Add 2 3/4 cups chicken stock and bring up to a bubble, then place a lid on the pot and turn the heat down to medium. Cook according to package directions, about 18 minutes.
As the stock for the rice is coming up to a simmer, blanch the broccoli: place a medium size skillet filled with one inch of water over high heat with a tight-fitting lid. Bring up to a boil, add some salt and the broccoli florets, then cover and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the broccoli and reserve.
As the broccoli starts heating, start the chicken: place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of vegetable oil, about 2 tablespoons. When the oil ripples, add the chicken, spreading it out in an even layer. Let it completely brown up on one side – you will have to resist the urge to stir it – for about 2-3 minutes. Give the skillet a shake, then stir and continue to cook and brown the chicken for five minutes. Remove chicken from tje skillet to a plate and reserve.
Return the skillet to the heat and add one more turn of the pan of vegetable oil, about a tablespoon. Once the oil ripples, add the onion, garlic, red bell pepper, red pepper flakes, ground coriander and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and hoisin sauce. Add the mixture to the skillet with the veggies along with the sliced water chestnuts and the reserved chicken. Stir to combine and add in the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock and the blanched broccoli florets. Cook the veggies and chicken together for about 2 minutes, or until everything is nicely coated and cooked through. Add the cashews and the cilantro or parsley and remove from the heat.
Remove the lid from the rice pot and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve rice with a spoonfull of orange cashew chicken on top of each portion.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.