Sopa de Fubà (Collard Greens, Cornmeal, and Sausage Soup)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 6 oz. kielbasa sausage, cut diagonally into 1/4"-thick slices
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 4 oz. collard greens, stemmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from saveur.com
1. Heat cornmeal in a 10" skillet over medium-high heat and cook, swirling pan constantly, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 3–4 minutes. Transfer cornmeal to a bowl; set aside. Heat oil in skillet and add sausages; cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. Bring chicken stock to a boil in a 6-qt. pot over high heat. Whisk in reserved cornmeal, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, whisking often, until cornmeal is tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in reserved sausages and collards and cook, stirring occasionally, until collards wilt, 15 minutes. Place eggs in a medium bowl and add 1 cup cornmeal mixture; whisk until smooth. Return mixture to pot and stir until incorporated; cook for 1 minute more and season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into 6 serving bowls and garnish with scallions; serve hot.