Black Olive Potato Gratin
- 1 can (6 oz.) Lindsay® Ripe Pitted Olives, drained, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups light cream*
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 lbs. (4 to 6 large) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Gruyere cheese
Adapted from lindsayolives.com
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a 4-qt. saucepan combine cream, onion, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese until melted. Add olives; continue to simmer 00:03, stirring frequently. Stir in potatoes; mix well to coat with cream sauce.
Layer potatoes and olives in an 8 or 9-inch baking dish. Spoon any remaining cream sauce from saucepan over potatoes. Sprinkle Gruyere cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese evenly over top. Cover dish with foil; bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 25 to 30 minutes longer, until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving or until potatoes absorb excess liquid.
*If light cream is unavailable, substitute 1 cup milk and 1 cup whipping cream (not half and half).