Sweet Potato-Topped Turkey Pot Pie
Recipe source: Better Homes and Gardens - October 2013
Make ahead: For faster preparation make the mashed sweet potato topping up to 2 days ahead and use purchased rotisserie chicken and canned chicken broth.
- Sweet Potato Topping:
- 2 lbs. orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Turkey Filling:
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups homemade chicken or turkey stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
- 2 1/2 cups shredded roast turkey or chicken
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme
Adapted from bhg.com
1. For Sweet Potato Topping: In a saucepan combine sweet potatoes, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover partially. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes; return to warm pan. Stir over low heat for 1 minute. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes. Stir in melted butter, nutmeg, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
3. Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
4. For Turkey Filling: In a large saucepan melt butter with oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook and stir, about 2 minutes. Add salt. Cover partially. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until vegetables are very tender, about 12 minutes.
5. Sprinkle flour over vegetables. Stir to combine. Slowly stir in stock. Simmer, stirring occasionally until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream; bring to a simmer. Add turkey, parsley, sage and thyme. Stir to combine; return to a simmer. Remove from heat. Spoon into 2 1/2-to-3-quart rectangular baking dish. Using a rubber spatula, spread and mound sweet potato mixture over filling, leaving some of the filling visible. Bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Turkey Pot Pie I 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Quinoa & Butternut Squash with... 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Super Simple Sweet Potato Dog... 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Jalapeño Popper Burger 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Freezer Meal Sloppy Joes 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Fried Italian Turkey & Cheese... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Bisquick's Easy Turkey Pot Pie 3.5/5 (4 Votes)