Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 extra large white mushrooms, caps and stems separated
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp Marsala wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 # sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 6 scallions, white and green parts finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 5 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 2 1/2 tbsp minced flat-leaf pasley
Heat oven to 325. Trim mushroom stems and finely chop; set aside. Place mushroom caps in a shallow bowl and toss with 3 Tbsp oil and Marsala. Set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a med skillet over med heat. Add sausage and crumble into small pieces; cook until browned, 8-10 minutes. Add the mushroom stems and cook 3 minutes more. Stir in the scallions, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the panko crumbs and mascarpone and continue cooking until the mascarpone has melted and made the mixture creamy. Remove from heat, add the parmesan and parsley and season to taste. Cool slightly.
Fill each mushroom cap generously with the sausage mixture. Arrange in a snug singlelayer in a large baking dish. Bake until the stuffing is browned and crusty, 50 minutes.