Herb & Cranberry Stuffing
This flavorful recipe uses apple juice and vegetable broth instead of extra butter to lower the fat content and whole grain bread instead of white bread to boost the fiber and nutrient content. Traditional stuffing typically weighs in at a hefty 310 calories per one-cup serving with 17 grams of total fat, but this recipe will set you back only 200 calories per one-cup serving and has merely 7 grams of fat.
- 12 ounces day-old crusty whole-grain bread, finely chopped. (The bread should be dry, not moist or gummy.)
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and well rinsed
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or stock
- 1/2 cup 100% unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries or chopped prunes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried ground sage, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Place the bread in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks, onion, celery, and carrot, and sauté until the leeks and onion are fully softened and the carrot is crisp-tender (meaning not too hard, but not too soft), about 10 minutes.
4. Increase heat to high, add the broth, apple juice, dried cranberries, parsley, fresh sage, thyme, rosemary, ground sage, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
5. Stir the broth mixture into the bread until well combined. Stir in the beaten egg.
6. Arrange the bread mixture evenly in a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 18 minutes. Uncover and bake until desired doneness and crispness on top, about 18 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, and let stand for 10 minutes to complete the cooking process.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Brown... 4.2/5 (21 Votes)
- Beef and Bean Taco Casserole 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Olive Garden Pollo Limone (Lemon... 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Orange Chicken Recipe 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Strawberry & Lime Rickey 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Raspberry Almond Shortbread... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Sour Cream-Cranberry Muffins 4.2/5 (15 Votes)