Green Bean Casserole
- Olive oil nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large (12-ounce) onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separated into rings
- 5 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pound(s) green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 container(s) (10-ounce) sliced cremini or white mushrooms
- 1 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) low-fat (1%) milk
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line large cookie sheet with foil; spray with nonstick spray.
In bowl, toss onion with 2 tablespoons flour and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Spread onion in single layer on prepared foil; spray onion with nonstick spray. Bake 14 minutes; toss to rearrange, then spray again. Bake 15 minutes or until crisp.
Meanwhile, in 5-quart saucepot, heat 3 quarts water to boiling on high. Add beans and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain beans in colander; rinse under cold water. Drain.
In 4-quart saucepan, melt margarine on medium. Add shallot; cook 2 minutes, stirring. Add mushrooms; cook 7 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and 3 tablespoons flour; cook 1 minute. Add broth and milk; heat to boiling on high, stirring. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes. Add beans.
Transfer mixture to 2-quart baking dish; bake 15 minutes. Stir mixture; top with onion. Bake 5 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.