Bacon and Egg Pie
Recipe Source: Saveur Number 150
Works well using an 8- x 11-in, 1-in deep tart pan with removable bottom.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 9" x 11" sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and chilled
- 20 eggs
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 lb sliced bacon, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk together ketchup and Worcestershire in a small bowl; set aside. Using a rolling pin, roll one sheet of puff pastry on a floured work surface to form an 11- x 14-inch rectangle; transfer to a 9- x 12 1/2-inch baking pan and let excess hang over sides. Separate 1 of the eggs and place the egg yolk in a small bowl; stir in cream, and set egg wash aside. Place remaining egg white on top of pastry, crack the eggs and drop them on top of pastry spacing them evenly apart, and sprinkle evenly with bacon; drizzle ketchup mixture evenly over eggs and bacon, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Fold dough hanging over the edge of the pan back over the ingredients and brush with some of the egg wash; roll second pastry sheet into a 10- x 13-inch rectangle and place on top of eggs and bacon, tucking edges into sides of pan. Cut 4 slits in the top of the pastry with a paring knife, and then brush completely with egg wash. Bake until golden brown and eggs and bacon are cooked through, about 1 hour; cut into squares to serve. Cover loosely with foil during last part of baking time if crust is browning too quickly.