Bronze And Red Lettuce Salad With Serrano Ham, Goat Cheese
- 8 ounces soft fresh goat cheese room temperature
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil or olive oil plus
- 1/2 cup hazelnut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely-minced fresh rosemary divided
- 1/4 teaspoon finely-grated lemon peel
- 10 thin Serano ham 7" by 3 1/2" slices - (abt 7 oz) (or prosciutto
- 1 cup stemmed baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10 cups assorted lettuces - (packed) coarsely torn (red and bronze varieties)
- 1/2 cup chopped husked toasted hazelnuts divided
Stir goat cheese, 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, and lemon peel in small bowl to blend. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Place sheet of plastic wrap on work surface. Place 1 slice ham in center of plastic. Spread generous 2 tablespoons goat cheese mixture evenly over ham. Place single layer of spinach leaves over cheese mixture. Top spinach with second ham slice. Repeat layering 2 more times. Starting at 1 long side and using plastic wrap as aid, roll up ham jelly-roll style. Place additional ham slice over seam to cover exposed cheese and spinach leaves (roll will be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter). Wrap tightly in plastic. Repeat with remaining ham, cheese, and spinach to form second roll. Chill until firm, at least 6 hours. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.)
Whisk 1/2 cup hazelnut oil, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, Sherry vinegar, shallot, and sugar in small bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Toss lettuces with 1/4 cup dressing and 1/4 cup hazelnuts. Mound salad in center of 8 plates. Unwrap ham rolls. Slice each roll into twelve 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Arrange 3 rounds around each salad; sprinkle salad with remaining nuts, drizzle dressing around salad and over ham rounds, and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.